Saturday, January 4, 2014

DIY Carbonation Rig


Sometimes, when I put up a new post, it's because I have what I think is a good idea and I want to say, "Hey world, here's an idea I came up with and I'd like to share it with you." Other times I put up a new post because I want to say, "Hey, quit emailing me and asking me how to do this." So, like a million years ago I put up a couple of blog posts on this site, one about making your own ginger beer, and one about bottled carbonated cocktails, both of which require some pretty tricky methods for making bubbles: one called for using ever-unpredictable yeast, and one used a device that was recalled shortly after my post for exploding. Oops. So about once a week I get an email from someone asking me how to do one of several things: Carbonate cocktails in a way that won't result in exploding equipment. Carbonate ginger beer or other mixers without resorting to yeast. Carbonate cocktails for draft delivery. So here are the two systems that can do all of those things. Here we go. Thanks to the fine folks at my local homebrew shop, I was able to put together a kit that takes less than five minutes to assemble, cost me around a hundred and fifty bucks to build, and costs next to nothing to operate. A bit cheaper than a top-of-the-line Sodastream, but with a lot more versatility (you can carbonate more than just water with mine) and a hell of a lot cheaper to operate long-term. Here's what you need:

No comments:

Post a Comment